I strongly believe in honoring each person’s life experiences, familial and cultural context, and that resilient power and wisdom within.
It is such a privilege to be able to provide therapeutic services, and to witness clients taking steps to change and reclaim their lives! I look forward to walking along with you as you take this courageous path for your own wellbeing!
Skilled in providing individual adult therapy for a wide variety of challenges including:
- anxiety, fear, or having excessive worries
- panic attacks
- feeling emotionally overwhelmed or dysregulated
- having hard time developing deeper connections with others
- difficulties relaxing, can’t slow down
- feeling tremendous weariness or burned out
- relationship challenges
- growing up with significant caretaker(s) who were emotionally volatile or absent
- low self-esteem
- life path crossroads
- intergenerational, cross-cultural challenges
- trauma (sexual harassment or assault, growing up with DV between parents, being bullied)
- contextual, social justice, systemic issues impacting struggles
Sample Groups and Workshops
Facilitated over a hundred groups/workshops, with audience number ranging from small groups to over 100. Some sample topics:
- Trauma survivors healing circles
- Tapping away Worries and Fears
- Resilience workshop series
- Anger Management workshop series
- Emotion Regulation groups (DBT-based)
- Women’s Groups
- Binge-Eating treatment group
- Red-flag mental illness warnings workshops
- Stress management/relaxation workshops
- Balancing life demands and responsibilities workshops
- Diversity Process groups, Social Justice Seminars (for doctoral-level clinical trainees)
- 23+ years of counseling/therapy experience with clients from very diverse backgrounds, professions, identity, life experiences
- 20+ years training, supervising and providing consultations to countless doctoral-level therapists (experienced providing clinical supervision since as an advanced doctoral practicum counselor myself)
- CA Licensed psychologist (# Psy 19278) since 2003
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Washington State University (2002; pursued Counseling Psychology instead of Clinical Psychology degree because of my strong belief in education, social justice, and preventive work and not just focus on pathology; counseling psychology degree still afforded me the training in clinical psychology)
- Was Clinical Coordinator/Assistant Director of Clinical Services for 4 years, and Director/“chief mental health officer” for 4.5 years.
- Trained and experienced in mind/body/somatic/emotion interventions
- Trained and experienced in integration of clinical Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT/”Tapping” on acupressure points), Level II
- Diplomate certificate in Comprehensive Energy Psychology (DCEP) from International Association of Comprehensive Energy Psychology
- Developed and previously led “Supervision on Supervision” Seminar series, “Social Justice and Outreach” Seminar series, and Diversity Discussion series for advance doctoral-level clinical trainees
- Presented at peer-reviewed national and regional conferences
- Lecturer for Counselor Education, SJSU (teaching Cultural Perspectives in Counseling to graduate students)
- Emerita faculty counselor (“Professor” equivalent), San José State University
- Stepped down from “chief mental health officer”/director of an university clinic due to health issues (which prompted me to learn that the Western talk therapy doesn’t always work on its own. I started to study and incorporate more Eastern based, mind-body/somatic approaches and found such resonance for my own healing!). As challenging as burning out was, I’m so grateful for the invaluable skills that I’ve learned as a result!
- Was a career counselor (while in graduate school)
- I use she/her pronouns, “they” work as well. I am a 1.5-generation Taiwanese-American, with some informal conversational understanding of Mandarin (not able to conduct therapy in Mandarin) and will occasionally catch some Taiwanese phrases.
- Not religious (grew up with Taiwanese Buddhist practices), but highly spiritual these days. E.g., now trained as Reiki practitioner.
As someone who has had tremendous life shifts over the years and learned to navigate different cultural and systemic contexts, I also recognize the privileges I have, and know that our background shapes our worldview and experiences. I am honored to have had much experience serving and facilitating healing and transformation for individuals and groups from a wide variety of backgrounds (immigrants and ethnic minorities, LGB identity, gender fluid, sexual abuse survivors, undocumented populations, and various religious/spirituality background).
Please feel free to call me at 408-828-8375 or send me an email to inquire further.
Learn to stay grounded and centered even when surrounded by life’s turmoil.
Photo credit: Top–Dr. Ellen J. Lin; rocks–Dr. Lin’s niece, Anwen Lin.