I strongly believe in honoring each person’s life experiences, familial and cultural context, and that resilient power and wisdom within.
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Washington State University (2002; pursued Counseling Psychology instead of Clinical Psychology degree because of my strong belief in education, social justice, and preventive work and not just focus on pathology; counseling psychology degree still afforded me the training in clinical psychology)
- Licensed in CA as a psychologist (# Psy 19278) since 2003
- Provided supervision/mentoring for mental health clinicians since 1999, including being creator and previously led “Supervision on Supervision” Seminar series and “Social Justice and Outreach” Seminar series for doctoral-level clinical trainees.
- Trained and experienced in mind-body interventions, such as Clinical Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT/”tapping” of acupressure points) Level 1–2018; Level 2–2020 (decreases body’s stress/fear/anxiety/autonomic response; click here for a list of research evidence of various energy psychology approaches, many of which focused on EFT)
- Diplomate certificate in Comprehensive Energy Psychology (DCEP) from International Association of Comprehensive Energy Psychology, 2018
My Areas of Expertise
Skilled in providing therapy for a wide variety of challenges:
- anxiety, fear, depression–feeling emotionally overwhelmed or having excessive worries
- having hard time relaxing, can’t slow down
- relationship challenges
- family or inter-generational issues
- adverse childhood experience(s)
- trauma (whether that is “little t” or big “T”)
- low self-esteem
- body image struggles
Sample Groups and Workshops I’ve Facilitated
Facilitated over a hundred groups/workshops. Here are some sample topics:
- Healing Circle for trauma survivors
- Anger Management workshop series
- Emotion Regulation groups
- Diversity Process groups, Social Justice seminars
- Women’s Groups
- Binge-Eating treatment group
- Red-flag mental illness warnings workshops
- Stress management/relaxation workshops
- Balancing life demands and responsibilities workshops
I recognize that it takes a tremendous amount of courage to be vulnerable in therapy, and I feel such privilege to be able to receive so many heart-wrenching stories over the years and being able to facilitate and witness healing and transformations. You can expect to be received with much warmth and compassion as I invite you to disclose what you’re comfortable with, and I will walk with you to facilitate your progress toward your desired goals.
I believe in the interconnections of mind-body-spirit, the psycho/socio/biological connections, and my therapeutic techniques are reflective of these. I contextualize client experiences within the historical, cultural, and familial background, and differentiate the structural-level impact from the personal and interpersonal, although these are often integrally connected and impacting our mental health. In our sessions, I integrate relational; interpersonal; somatic (e.g., Emotional-Freedom Techniques–aka EFT/”tapping”, which combines cognitive reconsolidation with exposure and somatic techniques such as you tapping on your own acupressure points); mindfulness; imagery and other cognitive approaches; all with multicultural, social justice, and feminist frames. Where appropriate and desired, we may also integrate spiritual practices.
- Experienced as clinical mental health administrator, a “chief mental health officer”/director of an university clinic (stepped down due to health issues), a career counselor, and as a licensed psychologist over the years, I’ve mentored and guided many emerging clinicians, leaders, and new and mid-career professionals in their development and trajectory.
- Keen understanding of what it is like to be a change leader and an advocate.
As someone who has had tremendous life shifts over the years and learned to navigate shifting identities on many levels, I know our background shapes our worldview and experiences. And, I have had much experience serving and facilitating healing for individuals from wide variety of cultural background (immigrants and ethnic minorities, LGB identity, gender fluid, sexual assault survivors, undocumented populations, and various religious/spirituality background).
Through my own life journey of various challenges (including health issues and burning out in a management role), I have reconnected with my love of being able to directly provide therapy and healing. I was led to explore and advance my training in mind-body-spirit connectedness, to dig deep into the root causes of struggles. I have honed my skills in working at the deeper emotional issues and not just treat the symptoms, and I am excited to share these techniques with you!
Please feel free to call me at 408-828-8375 or send me an email to inquire further.
Photo credit: Top–Dr. Ellen J. Lin; rocks–Dr. Lin’s niece, Anwen Lin.