I strongly believe in honoring each person’s life experiences, familial and cultural context, and that resilient power and wisdom within.
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Washington State University (2002; pursued Counseling Psychology instead of Clinical Psychology degree because of my strong belief in education, social justice, and preventive work and not just focus on pathology; counseling psychology degree still afforded me the training in clinical psychology)
- Licensed in CA as a psychologist (# Psy 19278) since 2003
- Trained and experienced in mind-body/somatic-emotion-spiritual interventions
- Diplomate certificate in Comprehensive Energy Psychology (DCEP) from International Association of Comprehensive Energy Psychology, 2018
- Provided supervision/mentoring for mental health clinicians since 1999, including being creator and previously led “Supervision on Supervision” Seminar series and “Social Justice and Outreach” Seminar series for advance doctoral-level clinical trainees
My Areas of Expertise
Skilled in providing therapy for a wide variety of challenges:
- anxiety, fear, depression–feeling emotionally overwhelmed or having excessive worries
- having hard time relaxing, can’t slow down
- relationship challenges
- family or inter-generational conflicts
- adverse childhood experience(s)
- trauma (whether that is “little t” or big “T”)
- low self-esteem
- career, values, and/or identity struggles
Sample Groups and Workshops I’ve Facilitated
Facilitated over a hundred groups/workshops. Here are some sample topics:
- Healing Circle for trauma survivors
- Tapping away Worries and Fears
- Resilience workshop series
- Anger Management workshop series
- Emotion Regulation groups
- Women’s Groups
- Binge-Eating treatment group
- Red-flag mental illness warnings workshops
- Stress management/relaxation workshops
- Balancing life demands and responsibilities workshops
- Diversity Process groups, Social Justice Seminars (for doctoral-level trainees)
I recognize that it takes a tremendous amount of courage to be vulnerable in therapy, and I feel such privilege to be able to receive so many heart-wrenching stories over the years and being able to facilitate and witness healing and transformations. You can expect to be received with much warmth and compassion as I invite you to disclose what you’re comfortable with, and I will walk with you to facilitate and guide you toward your desired goals.
I believe in the interconnections of mind-body-emotion-spirit, the psycho/socio/biological connections, and my therapeutic techniques are reflective of these. I contextualize client experiences within the historical, cultural, and familial background, and differentiate the structural-level impact from the personal and interpersonal, although these are often integrally connected and impacting our mental health. In our sessions, I integrate relational; interpersonal; cognitive-somatic techniques (e.g., Emotional-Freedom Techniques–aka EFT/”tapping”–you tapping on your own acupressure points); mindfulness; imagery and other cognitive-behavioral and spiritual (not religious) approaches; all with multicultural, social justice, and feminist frames.
My clients have commented that I’m genuine, intuitive, and have a grounded, calming presence, and I provide many tools to add to their tool box.
- Experienced as clinical mental health administrator, a “chief mental health officer”/director of an university clinic (stepped down due to health issues), a career counselor, and as a licensed psychologist over the years, I’ve mentored and guided many clinicians, leaders, and other new and mid-career professionals in their development and trajectory.
- Keen understanding of what it is like to be a change leader and an advocate.
As someone who has had tremendous life shifts over the years and learned to navigate shifting identities on many levels, I know our background shapes our worldview and experiences. And, I have had much experience serving and facilitating healing for individuals from wide variety of cultural background (immigrants and ethnic minorities, LGB identity, gender fluid, sexual abuse survivors, undocumented populations, and various religious/spirituality background).
Through my own life journey of various challenges (including health issues and burning out in a management role), I have reconnected with my love of being able to directly provide therapy and healing. I was led to explore and advance my training in mind-body-spirit connectedness, to dig deep into the root causes of struggles, get into my messy “shadows” and be able to walk out on the other side. I have honed my skills in working at the deeper emotional issues and not just treat the symptoms, and I am excited to share these techniques with you so that you can experience more joys in life!
Please feel free to call me at 408-828-8375 or send me an email to inquire further.
Photo credit: Top–Dr. Ellen J. Lin; rocks–Dr. Lin’s niece, Anwen Lin.